Family Caregivers of BC
Who We Are
Over 1.3 million people in British Columbia are unpaid caregivers, providing 80% of care in the community for family and friends. The Family Caregivers of British Columbia (FCBC) is a provincial not-for-profit society dedicated 100% to supporting unpaid family and friend caregivers and promoting the importance of the family caregiver role and its contribution to the health care system. We are committed to building capacity and shifting culture toward person- and family-centered health care.
What We Do
The Society’s mission is to improve the quality of life of family and friend caregivers through support, information, education and leadership. FCBC accomplishes its work through three key pillars across the province:
- FREE telephone support through our toll-free Caregiver Support Line: 1 877 520-3267.
- Information and referral to community resources, health system information.
- Follow-up Caregiver Consultation sessions for problem solving and brief action planning.
- Peer-led support groups.
- Training and support in setting up and running support groups.
- Provincial Community of Practice for Support Group Facilitators.
- Links to community and provincial resources including caregiver support groups in BC.
Education for Family Caregivers and Health Care Providers
- Online Caregiver Resource Center at www.familycaregiversbc.ca – Available 24/7.
- Caregiver Consent Referral Form.
- Caregiver Flip Book on caregiving tips and tools.
- Informational handouts and articles.
- Recorded webinars on a wide variety of caregiver topics.
- Blog, archived quarterly newsletters and monthly eNews bulletins.
- “What’s New” event listing of upcoming webinars, workshops and other events.
- Toolkit for Employers: Resources for Supporting Family Caregivers: Information and resources for employees and employers.
- Resource Guide for Family Caregivers 2nd Ed.: Chapters address the different stages of caregiving, the issues that arise and the information needed to cope.
Health Sector Engagement and Collaboration
- Include the voice of family caregivers in health system improvement efforts.
- Collaborate with community and condition-specific organizations to co-ordinate efforts, reduce overlap, identify gaps and increase support for family caregivers.
- Collaborate with the Ministry of Health, Patients as Partners Initiative, Doctors of BC, Divisions of Family Practice, Health Authorities in the development of a new system of integrated primary and community care throughout B.C..
The Ministry of Health Patients as Partners Initiative provides partial funding to the society.
Family Caregivers of British Columbia
6 – 3318 Oak St.
Victoria BC V8X 1R1
Phone (Greater Victoria): 250 384-0408
|Caregiver Resources||· August Enews Bulletins (Link: https://www.familycaregiversbc.ca/caregiver-connection/)
· FCBC article in August issue of Inspired Senior Living magazine, “How to Support a Caregiver” (https://www.seniorlivingmag.com/august)
· Summer Issue of Caregiver Connection Newsletter (https://www.familycaregiversbc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/FCBC-CaregiverConnection-Summer2020-Web-1.pdf)
· New to Caregiving Flip book and Articles (https://www.familycaregiversbc.ca/family-caregiving-dont-do-it-alone/ and https://www.familycaregiversbc.ca/read-caregiver-learning-centre/)
· Blogs: How to Support a Caregiver (https://www.familycaregiversbc.ca/life-balance/how-to-support-a-caregiver/
· COVID-19 Social Visitation Essentials Course in Collaboration with SafeCareBC and FCBC (https://www.safecarebc.ca/how-to-enroll-in-covid-19-social-visitation-essentials/)
|FCBC Learning Sessions, Connection Corner Bi-Weekly Facebook Live||· FCBC Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/FamilyCaregiversBC/
· Bi-weekly Tuesday Morning Lives from 9-9:30 am with Wendy Johnstone (common caregiving themes and topics with blog)
· August 11th – How to Support a Caregiver
· August 18th– Circles of Support (https://www.facebook.com/events/1987543004710937)
|FCBC Virtual Support Groups||· Bi-Weekly Virtual Men’s Caregiving Group – Tuesdays from 7-8:30 PM PDT (https://www.familycaregiversbc.ca/family-caregiver-support-groups/)
· Weekly Caregivers Connect BC Virtual Support Group – Wednesdays from 2:00-3:30 PM PDT
· Virtual Caregiver Café in Greater Victoria – Thursdays from 2:00-3:30 PM PDT
|Events and Webinars||· August 18th, 11 AM -11:30 AM – Supporting a Family Caregiver (a friend, colleague and/or employee) in the Workplace with Wendy Johnstone (in collaboration with Healthy Workplaces Canadian Cancer Society) To Register: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_f9F4KFopQoeuR6G-ab2DkQ|
IN PERSON SUPPORT GROUPS ON HOLD DUE TO COVID
- Evening Caregiver Support Group – Monday, March 2, 2020
#6 3318 Oak Street
- Male Family & Friend Caregiver Support Group – Tuesday, March 10, 2020
#6 3318 Oak Street
- Cook Street Village Caregiver Support Group – Thursday, March 12, 2020
Cook St. Village Activity Centre, #1-380 Cook Street
- Saanich Peninsula Caregiver Support Group – Wednesday, March 11, 2020
2159 Mt. Newton X Road, Saanichton
- Sidney Caregiver Support Group – Thursday, March 12, 2020
Shoal Centre, 10030 Resthaven Drive, Sidney
- Salt Spring Island Caregiver Support Group
Salt Spring Seniors Centre, Ganges
NEW – Caregiver Tips and Tools Listings – visit our newly formatted listing of top caregiver tips and tools. All education resources have been brought together by topic for easy reference https://www.familycaregiversbc.ca/for-family-caregivers/welcome-to-top-tips-and-tools-caregivers/
NEW – Caregiver Education Modules – Staying Healthy While Caregiving – check out our caregiver education modules on how to ensure self-care in your busy life as a family caregiver https://www.familycaregiversbc.ca/staying-healthy-while-caregiving/story_html5.html
NEW – Caregiver Flipbook on “Building Your Personal Resilience – Strategies for Family Caregivers” https://www.familycaregiversbc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/FCBC-Flipbook-March2019-proof9.pdf
Webinars Recordings – visit our website to see recent webinar recordings: https://www.familycaregiversbc.ca/events/webinars/
We hear from so many family members who are caring for others amid relationships that are quite complex. Identifying and advocating for one’s own needs, and the care needs of others, requires communication that is clear and skillful. We welcome you to review some of our previously recorded webinars that speak to approaches caregivers can use to move through such challenges that can come up in a caregiving role.
Where to draw the line: Boundary Setting for Caregivers
Coach Caregiver – Communicating in Difficult Discussions
- A Tool to Support Your Well-being
- 4 Ways You Can Support a Family Caregiver
- Taking a Break: 7 Tips for a Caregiver Vacation
Caregiver Connection is a quarterly publication full of interesting and informative articles directly related to family caregiving issues and experiences.
“You did a wonderful job of cheering me up and sending me information and helpful articles. A job well done!! I feel stronger now.” Caregiver Support Line
“I found the articles really helpful. I took care of my mum for 3 years and she recently died. The newsletter made me realize I wasn’t alone and that there was support out in the community.” Newsletter
“Thank you for these wonderful and informative emails. They are very much appreciated.” – eNews Subscriber
“I love your webinars, they have been fabulous….please don’t stop those. I am trying to work on some changes as a result. Thank you again, this organization is truly a life saver.” Webinar
“I greatly appreciate this information that you send out. I am a social worker at a Specialized Seniors clinic in Fraser Health and these are relevant to both me and my clients. Thanks, this organization is doing awesome and valuable work!” Health Care Provider
“I am looking at your website – it is just great, I am loving it! Thank you so much for all the work you are doing, the caregiver consent referral form and the opportunity you provide for additional caregiver coaching.” Health Care Provider